I started this extreme couponing thing because I couldn't find a job. My husband thought it would be a good thing for me to do.....right. So I am a couple months in and thought I would share a couple of things I have learned that I didn't learn in the books, websites, shows or using plain basic sense.
First, this isn't "work" as they call it on the cute websites written by women who have mutant super powers - this is brain bending, finger cramping, paper cut bleeding, weight lifting, miles of walking hard work!
Second, I may love the final total when I am at home calculating all those nice rebates, register rewards, catalines, or whatever they call them...fact is is that I have to PAY to get the money back...then I give it back to them and they give me more pieces of paper, sometimes. Sound confusing? It Is !!!!
Third, my binder weights a lot. Packing this thing from store to store is a workout in itself. It also doesn't fit nicely on most of the carts. It falls to the floor or in the basket. When this happens those valuable pieces of paper fall out. This happens most often when I have already spent an hour in the store buying 6 items. Now I get to put my binder back together in the store or wait till I get home. Promising myself I will get to it tonight after shopping I shove everything back in. I won't do it that night. I will wait until Sunday or Monday when I do the clipping and sorting. This is the time when I discover the coupon for $5.00 off my next order. The one that I was sure I had that day but couldn't find, that expired yesterday. I will testify to the fact that these little pieces of paper are out to kill me.
Fourth, 6 Sunday papers is a lot of paper. I don't have curb side recycling. I not only have to store all of my purchases, I have to store the papers till I get to the recyclers, about once a month. Oh did I mention that 24 newspapers weight a lot.
Fifth, Websites that match coupons to sales are great - for everyone but me it seems. 9am Sunday morning will find me standing in front of the shelves of sale items and looking at blank spaces. No matter how early I get to the stores those "free" deals are gone. I do ok with walking the aisles looking for sales and doing the math to see if it is a good deal or not.
Sixth, some of the "rules" about when to buy and how much are a little whacked. Me getting 90% off doesn't happen often. I made rules that fit me and what I was willing to spend. Not saying they are wrong, far from it, you can get free and 90% off deals. you just have to be one of those magical people that have calculated the exact moment the item is made available to the public. This math is called "luck math" and is far out of my reach.
Seventh, when I began coupon shopping in the "extreme" manner, my family went a little hungry for foods they were use to eating. Living by the no sale, no coupon, no buying rule was not practical or even doable. While this sounds like it makes perfect sense you would be surprised how warped your brain can get when reading these books and sites. I was convinced that I would go to the store and they would have 100s of items on the shelves so that I could buy as many as I wanted. Of course it would always be what I wanted and what I needed. Right.....
Eighth, finding storage for food and sundries sounds like it would be one of those "aw, poor you" type hardships. It is, but it also sucked having to make room in closets, the garage, cabinets and everywhere else you can imagine. Unless you are one of the few who have room to spare, you will need to think this through. I didn't. My stock pile grows faster than I can use it...so I can give it away...or donate it...and why did I buy 10 boxes of Fixadent when I don't have dentures or know anyone who does? (oh right, feel good moment at the retirement home) Yeah big one they didn't mention in the books or sites...I have to put up the groceries when I get home (should have been common sense...right?). After I got home from today's Costco, CVS and Walgreens trips I had nowhere to put things. Quick tip - plan storage BEFORE you go to the store. Cleaning off the laundry room shelves and rearranging the back of the garage after 5 hours of stressed (oops, I meant coupon) shopping was NOT fun.
Ninth, normal people think I am down right nuts. I wear headphones with a morning radio show podcast playing so I can ignore other shoppers. It only took one trip listening to the "wow, what is that all about" "she's one of those coupon people" and other perfectly ordinary comments. They weren't bad, but I was already feeling slightly crazed myself. Laughing to the morning show in the middle of the aisle adds to the whole perceived as nuts thing.
Ten, it takes A LOT of mistakes to get it right. Still don't have it right but I am getting there, slowly, I hope. Not sure if there is a "right" way of extreme couponing. I do know that I am saving a lot of money, but I am also spending money too. All things in balance would be a nice way to go, but then I end up paying retail for groceries and I am not going back there.
In summary, yes I am saving money. Yes the books and sites had good information (just not always doable). Yes, it is hard work and it is a job - do not let spouse, SO, friends or kids convience you otherwise. No, it isn't like the reality tv show (feel free to say duh). No, I do not get all the sales all the time. Yes I will keep extreme couponing. And finally.. yes, I will tell you what I have learned and about my experiences.
More later....
No comments:
Post a Comment